Use these Franchise Links and Resources to learn how to get started with franchising — either buying a franchise, starting a new franchise or selling a franchise. Don’t forget you can receive free or low-cost training and free professional business advice, from your local Small Business Development Center!
Online Training for Franchising
- Franchising Basics – SBA FranNet
- Bison, The Franchise Network – portal site for franchise opportunities.
- Franchise Directory – directory of franchise opportunities.
- Franchise Times – web site for Franchise Times magazine. Site includes a franchise directory
- International Franchise Association – includes links to franchise companies.
- USA Today Business Opportunities – a listing of franchise opportunities.
Franchise Opportunity Evaluation
- American Association of Franchisees & Dealers – association helps franchisees evaluate franchise opportunities.
- Bibby Group – due diligence, successes of franchising, how to franchise a business all from an expert in the field.
- Entrepreneur Magazine Franchise Zone – articles about evaluating franchises and franchising your own business.
- Franchise Workshop – evaluate franchises and your readiness to operate a franchise with this online workshop developed by the SBA.
- Consumer Guide to Buying a Franchise – The Federal Trade Commission provides advice on avoiding costly pitfalls before buying a franchise.
Could Biz Opp Offers Be Out for Your Coffers? – Under the FTC Franchise Rule, most potential business purchasers have the right to receive information about the earnings potential of a business opportunity. Most legitimate business opportunity promoters don’t hesitate to give this information. This guide helps new business owners how to understand, spot, and avoid fraudulent business opportunities.
- Guide to Franchises and Business Opportunities – Provides practical information about some common business opportunity scams; how to spot, stop and avoid them; and how to file a complaint if you think you’ve experienced a fraud.
- Answering the Knock of a Business ‘Opp’ – Learn how to evaluate the claims made by business opportunity sellers, and avoid scams and costly mistakes.
- Franchise Fraud – information from the Federal Trade Commission.
- Costly Coupon Scams – Avoid fraudulent business opportunities and work-at-home schemes that offer big earnings by selling coupon certificate booklets or cutting coupons at home.
- Take This Scheme and Stuff It: Avoiding Envelope-Stuffing Rip-Offs – Learn about how envelope stuffing business opportunities actually work.
- The Gifting Club-Gotcha – Learn how to avoid this pyramid scheme.
Work-at-Home Schemes – Work-at-Home business opportunities are everywhere, but be aware that not all work-at-home opportunities deliver on their promises.
Lotions and Potions: The Bottom Line About Multilevel Marketing Plans – If you’re thinking about joining what appears to be a legitimate multilevel marketing plan, take time to learn about the plan before signing on.
Medical Billing Opportunities: Worth a Second Opinion – Learn about medical billing scams before you sign on. Many of these opportunities do not provide pre-investment information required by law.
Multilevel Marketing Plans – Not all multilevel marketing plans are the legal. Consider these seven steps before signing up for one of these business opportunities.
Net Based Business Opportunities: Are Some Flop-opportunities? – Advice to consumers considering Internet-related business opportunities.
Franchising Your Business
- Franchise411 – list of articles and guides about franchising your business or purchasing a franchise.
- My Franchise Law – a franchise resource site with information to help those interested in franchise opportunities
Information for Franchise Buyers
- Franchise and Business Opportunity Rule : Buyers’ Guide
Guide to the Federal Trade Commission’s Franchise and Business Opportunity Rule, which requires franchise and business opportunity sellers to give you specific information to help you make an informed decision before buying.
- Franchise and Business Opportunity Rule : FAQs for Buyers
Most frequently asked questions about franchise and business opportunities, including information on how to get a pre-sale disclosure document and how to get legal help.
Information for Franchise Sellers
- Guide to the Federal Trade Commission Franchise Rule
Lear how franchisors and businesses must comply with the FTC’s Franchise and Business Opportunity Rule.
- Recent Franchise Rule Opinions (1995 to Present)
Listing of informal staff advisory opinions in response to requests for interpretation of FTC’s Franchise Rule.
- State Pre-Sale Disclosure Requirements : Business Opportunities
Information on states that have laws prohibiting sales of business opportunities unless the seller gives potential purchasers a pre-sale disclosure document that has first been filed with a designated state agency.
- State Pre-Sale Disclosure Requirements : Franchises
Information on states that have laws requiring franchisors to provide pre-sale disclosures.