Use these official links and resources to learn how to start a home business — one possible way to start on your path to independence and financial security. Don’t forget you can receive free or low-cost training and free professional business advice, from your local Small Business Development Center!
Getting Started with a Home Business
- Home Business Expert – Recent articles on small business disciplines by Jim Blasingame, SBA’s 2002 Small Business Journalist of the Year, plus expert contributions who make up the “Brain Trust.”
- SOHO America – “Small Office Home Office” provides Marketing, Finance, Legal, Start-up and Technology with articles written by consultants, authors, and business wire stories and supplemented by related web sites.
- Franchises – the top 500, fastest growing, low cost, and top 10 home business ideas from the creators of Entrepreneur.com.
- Business Toolbox – includes targeted articles on insurance, crisis management, taxes, staffing, e-commerce, and marketing from the National Federation for Independent Business.
- Working Solo – FAQ checklist on starting a solo business; links on office design, marketing, computers, PR, finance and taxes.
- Home Based Business … Is it For Me? – Learn about several factors to consider when starting a home business.
- Starting a Business in Your Home: Weighing the Pros and Cons – Consider these factors before you begin a home business.
- How to Set Up a Home Based Business – Checklist of things to do when starting a home based business.
- Zoning Laws for Home Based Businesses – Learn how your local government’s zoning ordinances may affect your home-based business.
Sample Business Plan for Home Business
- Business Plan for Home Based Businesses – Provides a comprehensive approach to developing a business plan for a home based business.
Help for Women Starting a Home-based Business
- Working Moms – Support for the HBWM or home-based working mom with an association, online community connection, bookstore and opportunities.
- Working Moms Refuge – Offers tips on how to juggle both lives and career; tips and other resources
Tax Information on Home-based Businesses
- Small Business Self-Employed One-Stop Resource
Official IRS gateway to tax info for small busines owners.
- Business Use of Your Home
Learn about deducting expenses for business use of your home.
- Business Expenses and Tax Deductioins
Learn how to deduct business expenses on your income taxes.
- Social Security Guide for the Self-Employed
Information on how to report your earnings.