Veterans Small Business Owner General Information
Center for Veterans Enterprise – Contains information on starting a business, management, financing, conferences and marketing for small businesses.
- Department of Labor Veterans Employment & Training Service – Programs that assist veterans in gaining employment.
- Department of Labor Veterans Employment & Training Service – A resource provided by the SBA
- SBA’s Office of Veterans Business Development – Includes information on services, lending programs, grant resources and news for Veterans.
- SBA’s PRO-Net – SBA’s Federal procurement database. Find out how to register your veteran-owned enterprise to access Federal contracting opportunities.
- VA Business Programs for Veterans – General fact sheet on Veterans Business Programs
- Veterans Service Organizations – A directory of general assistance programs.
Small Business Assistance for Veterans
- Veterans Business Development Guide
Training, counseling and assistance to veteran and service-disabled veteran-owned small businesses.
- VetBiz.gov – Veterans in Business Portal
Help for veteran entrepreneurs who want to start and expand their businesses in the federal and private marketplaces.
- VeteransCorp.org – Entrepreneurial Guidance for Veterans
Provides veterans with a guide to starting, managing, and growing a business.
- National Veteran Small Business Conference & Expo
Annual conference focused on veteran small businesses and federal procurement opportunities.
- Business Resources for Disabled People
Info about starting, financing and running a small business aimed at disabled persons, including service disabled veterans.
Financing a Business
Federal and state government agencies do not provide grants to veterans for starting a business. However, there are a number of low-interest loan programs that help veterans obtain startup financing. The following loan progams are specifically for veterans and members of the military community. Visit the Loans and Grants Search Tool to get a full list of grant, loan, and venture capital programs for which you might qualify.
- Military Reservist Economic Injury Disaster Loan
This loan program provides funds to eligible small businesses to meet its ordinary and necessary operating expenses that it could have met, but is unable to meet, because an essential employee was “called-up” to active duty in their role as a military reservist.
- Patriot Express Pilot Loan Initiative
Provides financial assistance for veterans and members of the military community wanting to establish or expand small businesses.
- Prequalification Loan Program
Intermediary organizations assist prospective borrowers in developing viable loan application packages and securing loans. This program targets low income borrowers, disabled business owners, new and emerging businesses, veterans, exporters, rural and specialized industries.
- Employ Illinois – Military Reserve Loan
These loans are available to active reserve military, and provide low-interest access to capital to hire employees, make capital improvements or pursue other avenues that will lead to business survival.
- Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Businesses : Contracting Guidance
Info to help service-disabled veteran-owned small businesses do business with the federal government.
Employing Veterans – Info for Employers
- Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) Advisor
Helps veterans and employers understand employee eligibility and job entitlements, employer obligations, benefits and remedies under the Act.