Compiled by Marissa Garcia, SBDCNet Researcher
Click here to suggest a resource link to be added to this page
- Pet Grooming – offers brief discussions of startup costs, expansion, finance and bookkeeping, legal, insurance and basic grooming by breed.
Food and Products
- Pet Food – recent press release regarding the U.S.dog and cat population within U.S households (55%) and also a 10 year trend study (1991-2000) of dog and cat ownership.
- Pet Product Manufacturers – pet products manufacturers and importers and sections devoted to pet products and the law, trade shows, and a referral network for trade leads with the U.S. government.
- Pet Industry – for pet retailers, groomers, breeders, kennel operators, pet sitters, livestock wholesale/distributors, and pet supply wholesales/distributors and manufacturers.Offers business briefs, new products, articles on cooperative buying, software for small retail stores, promotion, Web exposure, inexpensive advertising, attracting and keeping customers; list of the top 20 brands and list of top 10 customer service reminders.
- Worldwide Pet Industry – manufacturers, distributors, suppliers, manufacturers’ representatives and retail businesses and breeder/livestock distributors. Includes a “find the pet store”, and list of trade shows.
- American Veterinary Medical Association – training, government issues, resources, and identifies medical specialty groups for dermatology, emergency care, anesthesiology, behavior, nutrition and ophthalmology. Provides a list of state veterinary medical associations.
- American Animal Hospital Association – continuing education programs and links to state veterinary medical associations, specialty boards and veterinary colleges, and lists additional specialty associations for allergy, feline, holistic, avian, reptilian, and sled dogs.
- Care.com – has an Online resource to find pet sitters and dogwalkers in your area. This site also has a locator for pet care providers.
- National Association of Pet Sitters – Provides resources and training informatin to current and potential pet sitters
- Pet Sitters International – Offers insurance, training, and sample contracts to pet sitters
- Horses – includes therapeutic riding centers and organizations, breed associations, legal issues for horse owners and service providers (fencing, boarding, liability), and riding stables and lessons by geographic region.
- North American Riding for the Handicapped Association – includes information on how to start a therapeutic riding center.
- Pet Age – for owners and managers of retail pet supply outlets, wholesalers, grocery merchandisers, and feed dealers.
- Disabled pets – resources, information and support for humans with disabled pets.